The Zero Marketing Stack is a curated list of handpicked tools and platforms that can collectively supercharge your marketing capabilities. It is not a comprehensive directory of all the free marketing tools out there. If you’d to recommend a tool/service that you think belongs here, drop me a note and I’ll be happy to consider it.
Setup & Execution
Search Engine Optimisation
- SEM Rush: Identify keywords, analyse backlinks, run technical audits and track SERP positions *Free trial
- Screaming Frog SEO Spider: Find broken links, discover duplicate content, generate XML sitemaps, and create a rich visual website architecture.
- GrowthBar: A powerful SEO plugin for Google Chrome that provides keyword suggestions, backlinks, google ads support and keyword tracking
- Yoast: Optimise WordPress websites for keywords/keyphrases, find high performing keywords, add structured data blocks, implement canonical links, provide technical SEO fixes and much more.
- Upfluence Analytics: Analyse potential influencer profiles for key performance metrics such as engagement rate, reach, audience demographics, etc.
- The Upfluence blog resource to help incorporate influencers into your marketing strategy
- HypeAuditor: Influencer analytics platform, reports hub includes audience quality score, demographics and language insights, engagement analytics, etc.
- Influence.co: Connect, engage and collaborate with a global community of influencers
- Surveys: SurveyMonkey (Recommended)
- Observational Research: Analyse behaviour and user experience
- Social listening
- Google Trends: Trending topics
- Alexa: Find new opportunities to grow and engage your audience.
- Google Alerts & Talkwalker Alerts: Get notified when a new website, blog or forum mentions a topic you’re monitoring
- Interviews: Google Forms (Recommended)
- Competitors research:
Personas, prospect-customer lifecycle, user journeys.
- Customer personas and journey maps platform from Cubb
- Step by step instructions to create personas using Hubspot’s Make My Persona Tool
- Generate effective personas and map them to user stories using Userforge
- Step by step guide to building a customer journey map from Hotjar or this one from Hubspot which includes examples and templates
Messaging and content
Customer Experience (CX)
- This guide from Qualtrics on designing a CX Strategy lays out how to conduct customer experience research, mapping customer experience and building the future state.
- Qualtrics Survey — Create, distribute and analyse customer insights through well-designed surveys (refer to the previously suggested guide for building effective surveys from the XM blog)
- Hubspot Service Hub — A Customer Intelligence tool to help identify best-fit customers for effective targeting and provide a frictionless customer experience. The free plan includes features such as Contact Management, Ticketing, Live chat and more
- Segment — a Customer Data Platform to collect, unify, clean and control customer data
- SurveyMonkey — Create and send surveys to track and measure your customers’ experience
Measurement & Reporting
Data Analytics & Visualisation
- Google Analytics: Website analytics, cross-device/cross-channel campaign performance tracking, reporting, etc.
- Lighthouse: Improve the quality of web pages – audits for performance, accessibility, progressive web apps, SEO and more
- Hotjar or CrazyEgg: Identify most/least engaged parts of websites using heat maps, analyse user funnel, etc.
- Google Data Studio: Build interactive dashboards and beautiful data visualisations
- Facebook Analytics: View customer journey across mobile/web, drive growth to website/social, etc.
- Quantcast Measure: Real-time insights into audience demographic and psychographic, understand motivations how they engage with your website content
Concept, Prototypes, Wireframes, Design Systems
Building a Website
- WordPress is one of the most powerful and customisable website platforms used by 39% of the internet:
- WordPress.com free account includes dozens of free themes (Recommended)
- Set up and host WordPress using the forever free tier of Google Cloud Platform using the GCP setup guide from TerminalBytes, or this step by step instructional video from Utechpia.
- Download the installer package directly from WordPress.org and set it up on your own web server.
- Medium: Powerful blog publishing tool, captive audience of users and great search engine visibility for your work
- Substack: Publish blogs and build a subscription pool
- Webflow: Build professional, custom websites in a completely visual canvas
- WebsiteBuilder.com: Intelligent site builder, unlimited storage, SSL, CDN, direct integration with Unsplash, email marketing and online shopping
- Weebly and Wix: Drag and drop website editors, 500 MB storage, SSL, SEO features, lead capture forms.
Free Resources for you Website
- Icons: Thousands of free icons which you can configure as you see fit on Iconmonstr, and Font Awesome
- Stock Images & Videos: Many high-quality resources at Unsplash, Pexels, and Pixabay
- Fonts: Beautiful typography at Google Fonts,
- Hosting: There is a service for free hosting without ads which is literally called Free Hosting No Ads.
- Free Cloud Services: An assortment of services in the free tier from Amazon Web Services and Google Cloud Platform
Content Planning & Development
- Content Research — BuzzSumo: Find content that resonates with your audience, Identify potential influencers, etc.
- Writing Assistants: The Hemingway App makes your writing bold and clear. Grammarly eliminate grammatical errors, improve the quality of your writing – integrates with browsers
- AI-Assisted Copywriters: Some tools which are not entirely free but offer full feature trials include Copysmith, Copy.ai, InferKit with a live demo.
- GatherContent: Content planning and collaboration – 30-day full-feature trial.
- CopyBlogger: A wealth of resources to create compelling and effective content
- Canva or Pablo: Craft beautiful and engaging social media posts
- Hootsuite or Buffer: Scheduling, publishing, calendar management, reporting
- Facebook audience insights or socialmention: Listening & analytics — Real-time social media search and insights
- Social Bakers’ suite of free social media tools: Facebook & Instagram performance quadrant reports, Social media benchmarking, Facebook ads performance prediction, etc.
Receive an update when fresh tools and features are added to Zero marketing Stack